I'm a senior lecturer (profesor) at the new Centro Universitario de la Defensa (CUD), attached to the University of Zaragora. I'm also a collaborator at Instituto de Investigación en Ingeniería de Aragón (I3A) in Zaragoza and at Instituto Superior Técnico (IST), in Lisbon.
Before that, I was a postdoctoral researcher at the Insitute of Systems and Robotics at the Instituto Superior Técnico in Lisbon. I received my PhD and MSc in Computer Science and Electrical Engineering from the University of Zaragoza in 2008 and 2003, respectively.
My research interests include the application Bayesian inference and reasoning methods in machine learning, robotics, computer vision and cognitive models.
- We are looking for a candidate to work on a project combining machine learning and wearable technologies Oferta en Español (English version comming soon)
- I'll be at the Active learning in robotics workshop at Humanoids 2014.
- New Journal of Machine Learning Research paper about Bayesian optimization.
- Invited talk at Tecsmedia 2014.
- We won the Santander Chair 2013 prize for innovation in the use of IT for teaching.
- The BayesOpt library can also be found on mloss and github.
- I have been invited to give a seminar at IRI in Barcelona.
- New library on Bayesian optimization freely available! Check the Software section.
- We are preparing the lab sessions of the 18th Machine Learning Summer School, co-organized by INRIA and PASCAL. You can find the materials here.
- At the 1st REACTS workshop, I'll give one of the invited talks.
- I have been invited to participate in the Dagstuhl Seminar on Exploration and Curiosity in Robot Learning and Inference.
- The videos from the talks for our RSS workshops are also available on Videolectures.
- After two wonderful years at Instituto Superio Tecnico as a postdoc, it is time to move on. I will be a profesor at the new Centro Universitario de la Defensa, in Zaragoza, Spain.
- The videos from the talks for our RSS workshops are now available online.
- Next week, I'll be in Max-Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics, in Tübingen, where I'll also give a talk.
- I have been invited to give two talks next week, on Wednesday 26th May at Escuela Superior de Ingenieros at the Univeridad de Sevilla at 17:00h and on Thursday 27th May at Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros de Telecomunicación at the Universidad de Malaga at 16:00h.
- Our full-day workshop Towards Closing the Loop: Active Learning for Robotics will be at Robotics: Science and Systems conference.
- Jointly with Rui Castro and Nando de Freitas, I'm organizing the NIPS workshop on Adaptive Sensing, Active Learning and Experimental Desing.
- Our paper on Bayesian exploitation-exploration for optimal navigation and mapping was accepted in Autonomous Robots - Special issue on Robot Learning.
- I'm going to give one of the invited talks at IbPRIA!
- Our cute robot "Chico" was on TV