Cristian Mahulea is currently an Assistant Professor (Profesor Contratado Doctor) at the Department of Computer Science and Systems Engineering of the University of Zaragoza, Spain.
He received the B.S. and M.Sc. degrees in control engineering from the Technical University of Iasi, Romania, in 2001 and 2002, respectively, and the Ph.D. degree in systems engineering from the University of Zaragoza, Spain, in 2007.
His research interests include discrete event systems, hybrid systems, automated manufacturing, Petri nets, mobile robotics and healthcare systems. He has participated in the development and implementation of Petri Net Toolbox and SimHPN, two MATLAB softwares for simulation, analysis and synthesis of discrete-event systems modeled with Petri nets. He co-authored, with M.H. Matcovschi and O. Pastravanu the book Applications of Petri Nets in Studying Discrete Event Systems, Iasi, Romania in 2002. Cristian Mahulea participated in the development of RMTool, a collection of tools for modeling, path planning and motion control of mobile robots.
He has been a Visiting Professor at the University of Cagliari, Italy, and a Visiting Researcher at the University of Sheffield, U.K., and Boston University, MA, USA. Dr. Mahulea has been several times co-chair of track 4 "Automated Manufacturing Systems" at ETFA conference, Work in Progress co-chair at ETFA'2013 and Program Committee co-chair at ETFA'2017. He is vice-chair of the Subcommittee on Industrial Automated Systems and Control of the IEEE-IES Technical Committee on Factory Automation.
- Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering (since 2014)
- Co-editor (together with A. Giua, M. Silva and J. Zaytoon) of the Proceedings of the 3rd IFAC Conference on Analysis and Design of Hybrid Systems (Zaragoza, Spain), September, 2009.
- Member of the Group of Discrete Event Systems Engineering
- Member of the IFAC TC 1.3. Discrete Event and Hybrid Systems
- Member of the IEEE (CSS, IES and RAS societies)
- Member of IFAC CEA (Comité Español de Automática)
Member of the PC for these incoming conferences:
- ICNSC'2017: 14th IEEE International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control, Calabria, Italy, May 2017.
- IFAC WC'2017: 20th World Congress of the International Federation of Automatic Control, Toulouse, France, July 2017.
- CASE'2017: 13th Conference on Automation Science and Engineering, Xi'an, China, August 2017.